RDG Co. Baggage Car, Class BAa, #1715
Background & History
On March 17, 1998, Reading baggage car #1715 was placed on rail in our collection. The car, which began life as a “combine” (combined passenger coach and baggage) was built for the Reading around 1924. We originally believed it was one of the concession cars used on the famous “Reading Rambles” steam excursions of the late 1960s and early 1970s, although now we are not so sure. In later years, it was used on the Quakertown & Eastern Railway in eastern PA, and then the Southwest Virginia Scenic Railroad. It finally settled at the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer (NCTM).
We purchased #1715 from NCTM in 1994, but due to the age of the car, it could not move on its own wheels. The car was finally moved on a TTX flat car, with its wheels in an accompanying gondola. Local crane contractor Dickinson Crane and our volunteers restored #1715 to its own wheels and sent it to Leesport.
|(last updated: 7/03)|